I am a former attorney from a family of attorneys (including my wife and much of her family). I get your world!
My strong analytical and interpersonal skills served me well for 30 years in law, financial markets, and business. However, a lack of satisfaction and fulfillment from this work led me to a career in coaching. For training I attended the year-long Professional Coaching Course at New Ventures West in San Francisco, CA, which culminated in becoming a Certified Integral Coach. I subsequently completed coursework at the Legacy Leadership Institute in San Antonio, TX.
Previously, I earned a Juris Doctor degree from the University Of Illinois College of Law, a Master of Business Administration degree in Finance from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance from the University of Illinois.
My clientele consists of professionals (attorneys, doctors, consultants, etc.) and entrepreneurial business people from a variety of industries. Rather than focusing on a particular population, my practice is better defined by the significance of the issue. I work with people who are interested in meaningful and lasting growth and development, not just solving the problem du jour.
Given my focus on meaningful, big-picture issues, my engagements generally are for a minimum of 6 months. Typically we meet every two weeks (in person or via Zoom/Skype), with the expectation that between meetings the client will dedicate time to assigned practices geared toward providing fresh perspective and bringing about the desired change (don’t worry, these practices generally are not too time intensive and quite often are rejuvenating and energizing). Meetings generally last for 60 minutes, but if necessary can occasionally last up to 90 minutes.
Once I have been formally engaged I will design a coaching program that will include 1) the coaching topic, 2) an important quality we will work on improving, 3) the purpose of the coaching program, and 4) two or three outcomes that are a subset of the purpose. This is a “living document”, and will change if necessary as we work our way through the coaching program.
I try to minimize the use of formal assessments since quite often they tend to overly bias a client and can be a crutch for the coach. However, there are several formal models I am familiar with and work from in order to assess how to best help a client achieve the purpose and outcomes described in the coaching program.
I expect clients to be curious and fully engaged. They can expect the same from me, as well as genuine caring and support that provides a level of comfort which permits them to dig below the surface to get to the root of the issue they bring to coaching.
The benefit clients should expect is a fresh perspective and meaningful growth and development – it’s not a coincidence I have mentioned these concepts repeatedly – regarding the issue they brought to coaching.
If I believe it will be beneficial to gather background information on a client, I will discuss this with the client (and sponsor, in cases where I am engaged by the employer).
Being open to a fresh perspective and change, and being honest with themselves and me, are paramount. The corollary to this is I take confidentiality very seriously.
In addition, being committed to doing the practices between meetings is very important. While talk is helpful to bring about awareness and a fresh perspective, real growth and development emanates from action, not words.
Fees vary based on a client’s needs and circumstances. Please contact me to discuss this further.
I typically have an initial complimentary in person/phone conversation and a longer follow up session before asking clients to commit to payment. If the client commits to moving forward, at that point we sign a coaching agreement and I expect payment of 60% of the fee, with the remaining 40% due after 60 days. All payments are non-refundable once made.